They say blondes have more fun, and more women seem to be discovering exactly that as we see celebrities flaunting their icy, platinum hair - from the Kardashians, to Game Of Thrones' Emilia Clarke, and even Selena Gomez!
It’s no secret that transforming your hair from black or brunette into the perfect blonde shade requires investment in time and money. That’s why it’s not enough to use just any regular shampoo to maintain it.
To have great-looking blonde hair and perfectly toned highlights, purple toning products should be a staple in your shower.
But how does this work? Purple toning products contain purple pigments that counter (neutralize) your hair’s yellow tones, making yellowish hair more ashy. Yellow tones are naturally found in hair because keratin (a protein in hair) is yellowish. Notice how when purple mixes with yellow, the mixed tones appear ashy. This is because yellow and purple are opposites in the color wheel and consequently neutralize each other.
Need help in finding the right purple shampoo for you? Here are our recommendations:
Say Bye Bye to Brassy Hair
"I tried this shampoo to make my grey hair (40% or so) silver, and it worked better than I hoped. After one use, the grey was a beautiful bright silver." -Filin
Why we like it:
- Neutralizes unwanted brassy tones
- Enhances color shine
Brighten your Blonde
- Increases cool tones and combats yellow and brassy tones in blonde hair
- Improves blonde vibrancy and adds shine
- Scent: Tropical Baha Mama
Vegan Brightening Duo
- It’s vegan, with its active ingredients derived from lotus plant
- Moisturizes and softens hair
- Mask has a protective effect
- Scent: Green with lemon essential oil
Intensive Icy Blonde Tones
- An intense brass-reducing formula giving instant blond illumination
- Contains hyaluronic acid for moisture retention
- Protects the hair color from daily oxidation & pollution
"I have blonde turning grey hair and this shampoo along with the conditioner gives my hair a natural glow. Great body and bounce, and I haven't even needed to color my hair in months. I might just go grey. I love this product!" -Denise
Why we like it:
- Intensifies and illuminates natural or cosmetic blonde hair color
- Improved and reformulated for sustainably with 95% of natural origin and 98% biodegradable
- New formula is free from silicones, sulfates, and parabens
So whether you have icy, honey, ash blonde or grey hair, there is definitely a purple shampoo for you.
Want to see more options for blonde haircare? Head over to our purple toning section for the best professional brands.